Cosplay will be heavily featured at Great Basin Geek Con.
We will be holding Cosplay contests on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday will be our Adult Cosplay Contest for ages 13 and up. Sunday will be our Kids Cosplay Contest for ages 12 and under.
Adult Cosplay Contest
Saturday December 3rd
Pre-Judging at 5:30pm
Contest at 6:30pm on the Main Stage
Photos to follow
Kids Cosplay Contest
Sunday December 4th
Contest at 1pm on the Main Stage
Photos to follow
GREAT BASIN GEEK CON 2016 COSTUME CONTEST RULES
- Registration will take place in person on Saturday December 3. Entrants may start registering at 10am at the Cosplay Repair Booth in Artists Alley and will be dealt in a “first come, first serve” basis. Registration will end at 5pm or when we have a maximum of 30 entries. All entries MUST include:
- Entrant(s) Full Name(s)
**If you are registering as a group, you may register your group name as well, but you will need to include each member’s name on the registration.**
- Character(s)/Costume(s) Name(s)
- Class (Novice or Advanced)
- Pre-judging will begin at 5:30pm on Saturday (location will be noted on your registration form). The performance portion of the contest will begin immediately following pre-judging, in the main stage area of the convention.
- Group entries will be judged as an individual.
- All contestants must be at least 13 years of age to enter the adult contest (please see our Children’s Costume Contest for attendees under the age of 13).
- This is an open genre costume contest! All cosplay is welcome!
- All costumes must abide by the rules of the convention dress code and weapons policy. If a policy violation is discovered by any of the GBGC staff or judges panel, that entry will be disqualified. If you are not sure if your costume abides by the convention rules, please feel free to contact the GBGC Cosplay Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) with photographs of your costume/props.
- No loose glitter, confetti, pyrotechnics, live flame, or smoke generators of any kind are allowed in the convention center.
- No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power, it must be part of your costume. Any electrical portions of your costume must be self-contained and cannot produced any open arcs or bursts of exposed electricity.
- Store-bought costumes are allowed, however, please note that judges will be looking at workmanship as part of the overall score.
- All entries are strongly encouraged to bring reference material for their costume(s). While we will not turn away entries that do not bring reference material, the absence of references could affect your final score. Not all judges know all characters and creatures, so it’s in everyone’s best interest to bring a color photo (or several) if at all possible. If costume is an original design, then reference images of inspiration or in cases of characters from novels, a printed description from the literary work will be most helpful. Digital devices may be used to present reference photos to the judging panel, but printed materials are preferred.
- Performance portion of the Contest:
- Your costume must allow you the freedom of movement so that you can go up and down steps. Should assistance be needed, you may have up to two assistants help you but they will not be provided by the GBGC staff.
- You must remain in the stage area for the entirety of the contest. Please arrive early and before the contest starts. You will have designated areas for waiting pre and post judging during the Performance phase of the contest. Please listen to the directions given by the GBGC volunteers and be respectful to your fellow contestants. If you have any special needs, please let the judges’ panel be aware at the pre-judging portion of the contest.
- Each participant will have up to 90 seconds of time to perform on stage. This is your time to shine. So make the best of it. “Skits” are allowed but not mandatory.
- Audio tracks are accepted, but must be mentioned at registration time for further instruction. GBGC cannot accept lighting requests at this time.
- Prize Breakdown
- Awards will be given for overall Best in Show, Best Workmanship – Novice, Best Workmanship – Intermediate, Best Workmanship – Advanced, Best Showmanship – Novice, Best Showmanship – Intermediate, Best Showmanship – Advanced, and Fan Favorite. Judges may also award any additional certificates for outstanding work at their own discretion.
- While no changes to these rules are foreseen, certain circumstances may require the rules or times be changed. Any changes will be noted below. A copy of these rules will be posted at the information table during the convention.
GREAT BASIN GEEK CON 2016 CHILDREN’S COSTUME CONTEST
- The parent/guardian of any child contestant must fill out the entry form available at the Cosplay Repair booth in Artists Alley. On-site registration will begin at 10am on December 4th.
- Registration will close at 12:30pm or when we have reached our maximum of 30 entries.
- We ask that all entrants gather by 12:45pm in order to be organized for the start of the show. Entrants must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Gathering location will be listed on your registration form.
Runway Contest and Judging
- The children’s runway contest will take place at 1 p.m. on Sunday December 4th.
- Each contestant will have up to 60 seconds onstage, during which he or she may pose as the represented character or simply walk in front of the judges.
- Judges and/or the MC may ask a few questions while on stage.
- Winners will be announced after all contestants have walked and judges have had a deliberation period. Judging will be based on creativity, accuracy, and character portrayal.
- Cosplay contest will be open to the first 30 youth (12 and under) entrants.
- This is an open genre contest – you can be anyone or anything you want!
- Any group entries will be treated as an individual contestant.
- All costumes and weapons must follow the GBGC attire and weapons guidelines.
- All contestants must be accompanied by an adult. Adult guardians must be present during the contest, and will be allowed on stage if necessary for the safety of the participant.
- Have FUN!
Attire & Costume Rules
Great Basin Geek Con (GBGC) is a family-friendly event in a public location and the attire of attendees must reflect that. Nudity is not permitted, nor are fake, costume, or prosthetic genitalia allowed on display.
Minimum Coverage Guidelines:
Bottoms – Wear sufficient clothing to cover your behind. No cheeks, no genitals.
Tops – Bare backs and exposed midriffs are acceptable. Women must keep their breasts sufficiently covered; no nipple, no side-boob, no under-boob. Men are required to wear at minimum a crop top UNLESS it is part of a character cosplay – if we can find your character with a quick Google search, you can stay topless.
Please ensure that your cosplay is secure. We advise you to do a “wiggle test” at home prior to the convention – bend, twist, and bounce, if anything flashes, fix it. If you feel any part of your cosplay is not secure after getting to the con, please visit our Cosplay Repair booth for assistance. Also, note that these guidelines also apply to see-through clothing and to any clothing that gives the illusion of nudity.
If you have concerns over the suitability of your costume, please contact the GBGC Cosplay Team by emailing email@example.com.
With regards to costumes, please note that:
- You are responsible for ensuring that all edges of your costumes are rounded off and padded, and no dangerous parts attached (e.g. nails or blades). Examples include full fur suits, armor, wings, tails, and robots. If your cosplay is found to be a hazard to other attendees walking around, you may be asked to remove part of your costume. Handlers are encouraged for costumes that involved pieces that stick out from the body, to ensure that those pieces to not knock into other attendees or vendor/artist tables.
- Costumes, props, performances, and displays cannot involve or create naked flames, explosions, nor arcs or bursts of exposed electricity.
- Masks are NOT allowed on the casino floor. They are however permitted within the con and outside of the Sands Regency.
Note also that GBGC may need to take action at the request of the venue or to manage a disturbance caused by attire and costumes contrary to good taste.
GBGC employs a “common sense” policy when it comes to weapons and asks attendees to utilize good judgment when choosing prop weapons.
Actual firearms are not allowed. BB and similar type firearms are permitted as props but must NOT contain any fireable ammunition. Gas canisters or any other vessel containing gas held under pressure are forbidden, regardless of what gas is contained. Common items such as deodorant are unaffected.
If you bring a weapon deemed unsafe by a GBGC Crew Member, you may be asked to leave the con until it is no longer in your possession. Questionable weapons may be brought to the Cosplay Repair booth for determination. Weapons that do not follow GBGC policy can be left in vehicles – GBGC will not store them for you.
Great Basin Geek Con has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for harassment of any kind, including but not limited to:
– offensive verbal comments
– physical assault and/or battery
– harassing or non-consensual photography or recording
– bathroom policing
– unwelcome/inappropriate physical and/or verbal attention
– sustained disruption of panels, performances, and other events
in relation to, but not limited to:
– race, national origin, and/or citizenship
– gender, gender identity, and/or gender presentation
– sexual orientation
– clothing and/or costume
– age, appearance, and/or body size
When at GBGC; be respectful, be nice, be cool, be kind, and be excellent to each other.
Our mission is to create a fun, safe, welcoming, awesome event where fans of all kinds can come together and celebrate. We want you to not only have the most amazing weekend ever, but to experience it in an environment where you are safe and accepted. As fans ourselves, we understand the importance of creating a safe space for everyone who attends Great Basin Geek Con (GBGC).
If a person engages in harassing behavior, GBGC Crew Members will take prompt action in any form they deem appropriate, including expulsion from GBGC. Our policy applies to EVERYONE at the convention. Exhibitors, Attendees, Speakers, Guests, Professionals, Press, Staff, Volunteers, and Security are all subject to our anti-harassment policy and will be held to the same standards and disciplinary action.
Anyone can report harassment. If someone’s behavior has made you uncomfortable, or if you witness the same happening to someone else, you should immediately contact a member of the GBGC Staff or Security Team, identifiable by red “Crew Member” t-shirts or red wristbands. Harassment is defined by the victim.
If necessary, we will contact local law enforcement, provide escort, offer a safe place, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to make sure they feel safe for the rest of GBGC.
Remember: Cosplay is not consent. Keep your hands to yourself unless given permission. If you would like to take a picture with or of another GBGC fan, always ask first and respect that person’s right to say no. If the character you are cosplaying is generally considered rude or abrasive, it is still YOUR responsibility to be respectful to other attendees. Be in character and have fun, but gain consent first!
Please tell a GBGC Crew Member immediately.
We are here to help!
GBGC IS A SAFE PLACE FOR EVERYONE
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org